The End portal is easily one of the most important structures in Minecraft. Yet unlike all the other structures in the game, most players are generally clueless when we talk about its creation. Everyone is focused on finding the Ender portal with Minecraft speedrun seeds. But we are here to change that by explaining how to make an End portal in Minecraft. From unique custom portals to transporting ender portals, we have covered everything in this guide. Though it’s unlike any build you have ever made, so let’s not beat around the bush and jump in!
How to Make an End Portal in Minecraft (2022)
What is an End Portal in Minecraft
The End portal, just like the Nether portal, is a dimension gateway in Minecraft, which leads to the End dimension. This is the dimension where the Ender dragon, the largest mob or the main boss in Minecraft, spawns. But unlike the Nether portal, the Ender portals are known to naturally spawn underground within the Stronghold structure in the overworld.
So you first have to find a Stronghold in Minecraft and then locate the End portal. After locating it, you have to place 12 Eyes of Ender in the structure to activate the portal. Without the activation, the portal isn’t useful in any way.
Can You Make an End Portal Manually?
Since the Ender portal in Minecraft is part of the main plot, it can’t be created manually in the survival, spectator, hardcore, or adventure game mode. Moreover, you can’t even break it in those modes. Fortunately, the game allows you to build the End portal with the help of Minecraft commands in the creative game mode.
Not to forget, even if you make an End portal manually in your Minecraft world, you won’t be able to activate it unless it’s in a designated space inside a stronghold. But don’t worry, as there is a workaround for that. We will cover that later in this guide. For now, we should focus on how to make the Ender portal in Minecraft.
Items Needed to Make Minecraft Ender Portal
There are only two items you need to collect to make a functioning End portal in Minecraft:
- 12 End Portal Frames
- 12 Eyes of Ender
How to Make the Eyes of Ender
An End portal is a hollow square structure that has a row of three End portal frames on each of its four sides. Meanwhile, the 9 x 9 middle area is empty. Unfortunately, you can’t obtain End portal frames without commands or creative mode, which is the reason you can’t make the Ender portal manually in other game modes.
On the other hand, you can craft the Eyes of Ender in any game mode by combining Ender pearls and blaze dust on a crafting table. Our in-depth guide on how to make the Eyes of Ender and use them is coming soon, so stay tuned. For now, to save time, we suggest you take them from the creative inventory (redesigned in Minecraft 1.20) or commands as well.
How to Obtain End Portal Frames
Follow the steps below to obtain the End portal frame in Minecraft:
1. First, you need to enable cheats in your world. This option is available within the world settings on the Bedrock edition and the LAN World option in the Java edition. You can access this setting from the pause menu and simply need to toggle “Activate Cheats” or “Allow Cheats” in your world.
2. After that, jump back into the game and use the following command to change the game mode to creative mode:
3. Finally, press the “E” key or your dedicated inventory key to open the creative inventory and get the End portal frames. You only need one frame as it doesn’t get exhausted. Moreover, while you are at it, make sure to collect the Eyes of Ender as well.
4. Alternatively, if you are on one of the earlier versions that don’t show frames in the creative inventory, you have to rely on commands to get them. Use the following commands to get End portal frames and Eyes of Ender in Minecraft.
/give @s minecraft:end_portal_frame
/give @s minecraft:ender_eye
How to Make an End Portal in Minecraft
With the required items in your inventory, here’s how to make an End portal in Minecraft:
1. First, make two rows with three End portal frames, which are parallel to each other. While doing so, remember to leave a gap of three blocks between the rows.
2. Then, create two new rows of three End portal frames, which are adjacent to the existing rows and parallel to each other. They should complete the square End portal structure, leaving a gap of three blocks in between.
3. Then, place Eyes of Ender in all portal frames by right-clicking or using the secondary action key.
How to Activate an End Portal in Minecraft
Unfortunately, the manual End portal isn’t activated automatically, even with all the Eyes of Ender in place. But don’t worry, as Minecraft commands have you covered. Here’s how to spawn the dimensional gateway in the End portal.
1. First, turn on the coordinates in your Minecraft world. You need to turn on a toggle in the world options in the Bedrock edition. The Java Edition users only need to press the F3 key to see the coordinates.
2. Then, go to any of the corners of the main portal area to find its coordinates (A B C). After that, go to the opposite corner and note down its coordinates as well (X Y Z).
4. Finally, use the following command to fill the portal area with the End dimension gateway and activate the End portal in Minecraft.
/fill A B C X Y Z minecraft:end_portal
Note: Each alphabet represents the numerical value of the corners’ coordinates here. Apart from that, make sure you are outside the portal while activating the command, else Minecraft will send you to the End dimension.
Make Some Unique Custom End Portals
As you might have guessed at this point, the most important part of the End portal is the dimensional fluid. So you can use any other block in the place of the End portal frame to create a variety of unique portals. It is the perfect addition to your custom Minecraft maps and large bases.
Make and Activate Ender Portal in Minecraft
With that, you are now ready to create and activate your custom End portal in Minecraft. Since you can replace its frame with any in-game blocks, a custom end portal can fit almost all Minecraft house ideas easily. But we are more interested in learning how you plan on using it. Share your ideas in the comments below!