Since their addition to Minecraft, signs have been one of the most useful but annoying features of the game. The latter part is mostly due to their dependence on other blocks. You can’t place the signs without a block below them for support, which makes them pretty frustrating to use in custom builds. But not anymore. Now, you only need to learn how to craft hanging signs in Minecraft to bid farewell to all your sign-related problems. Sounds too good to be true? Let’s find out if it is!
How to Make Hanging Signs in Minecraft (2022)
Note: The hanging signs are currently available as an experimental feature in Minecraft 1.20 Beta and 22w42a Snapshot. They are a little far from being complete and subject to change in the final release. You may find a few bugs here and there while using them.
What Are Hanging Sings in Minecraft
Hanging signs, as the name suggests, are placard-like wooden boards you can hang on the side or beneath other blocks. They are a part of the Minecraft 1.20 update, and before their entry into the game, you could only place signs on top of other blocks. The addition of hanging signs opens up a bunch of creative options for the players. But their placement isn’t the only thing different from other signs.
Minecraft Sign vs Hanging Sign: Differences
For those wondering, here are the differences between signs (already in the game) and hanging signs (learn to craft in Snapshots below) in Minecraft:
|Characters (in one row)||15||8|
|Placement||Only top||All sides and bottom|
|Walkable||No||When placed on the side (with a rod on top)|
As you can notice, the cuteness of hanging signs comes at the cost of practicality. If you choose the hanging sign, you can’t put more than 8 characters in a single row. And since they can easily walk over them in some cases (described below), you can’t use them in some Minecraft farms. Not to forget, the hanging signs are also more expensive to craft due to the use of iron chains in the recipe.
Items Required to Make a Hanging Sign
With all that said, you can craft a hanging sign in Minecraft using the following items:
- Two iron chains
- Six stripped log blocks (any wood) OR Six bamboo planks
You can get stripped logs by using an axe on any wood log. Instead of breaking the block, you have to use the secondary action key or right-click on the tree log to strip it. Make sure all four stripped blocks are of the same type of wood. Not to forget, if you want to use bamboo wood (which doesn’t have logs), you will need to combine four pieces of bamboo to create planks.
How to Make a Chain in Minecraft
The second main ingredient in the crafting recipe of a hanging sign is an iron chain. Follow these steps to craft a chain in Minecraft:
1. First, mine iron ore blocks (use Minecraft 1.19 ore distribution guide to find iron) and smelt them in a furnace or blast furnace. This will get you one iron ingot. We need two iron ingots to make one chain.
2. Next, place one iron ingot anywhere on the crafting table. Doing so will give you nine iron nuggets.
3. Finally, place an iron ingot in the middle cell of the middle row of the crafting area. Then, put one iron nugget in the top and one iron ingot in the bottom cell of the middle column. The middle column will be completely filled, and your chain will be ready. Repeat these steps to create a second chain to make a hanging sign in Minecraft.
Minecraft Hanging Sign: Crafting Recipe
Once you have the stripped log blocks and chains, follow these steps to make a hanging sign in Minecraft:
1. First, place one chain in each corner of the topmost row of the crafting area.
2. Then, fill the middle and bottommost row of the crafting area with stripped logs or bamboo plank blocks. With that, Minecraft’s hanging sign is ready for usage. You get six hanging signs using this crafting recipe.
How to Use Hanging Signs in Minecraft
Once you successfully craft a hanging sign in Minecraft, the next thing on the agenda is – how to use it. So where can you place the hanging signs? Well, we will answer this question in this section.
1. First, equip the hanging sign you want to use in your build. Your character should be holding it in their hand.
2. Then, go next to the block on which you want to place the hanging sign. Remember that you can’t place it on top of other blocks; only on the sides and beneath blocks.
3. When you find the block on which you want to place the hanging sign, use the right-click or secondary action key to hang it. Once the hanging sign is in place, the game will ask you to write text on it. To customize the text, you can refer to our Minecraft color and format codes guide linked here.
5. Finally, once you are done writing the text, the hanging sign will look like this:
Types of Hanging Signs in Minecraft
Based on the wood you use to craft this new item, the color of the hanging sign changes in Minecraft. Expanding on that, Minecraft has the following types of hanging signs:
- Dark Oak
Types of Hanging Signs: Based on Placement
Based on how you place this item, the hanging sign can be further divided into three types:
- Beneath a Block: If you place a hanging sign at the bottom of a block, it hangs via the chains that’s connecting the two.
- Attached to The Side: If you place a sign on the side of a block, it spawns with chains attached to sticks. Like other solid blocks, you can walk on top of this stick.
- Connected to Another Sign: If you place a hanging sign beneath another hanging sign, they get connected with chains and form a bell-chime-like appearance.
- Floating Hanging Signs: If you break the block on the side on which your hanging sign is placed, the sign continues to float in the air independently. At this point, we’re not sure if the independently floating hanging signs are a bug or a feature.
Make and Use Hanging Signs in Minecraft
With the knowledge to craft and use hanging signs, you are now ready to customize your Minecraft house in a whole new way. But before you jump on the wagon, we suggest you try out some of the best Minecraft texture packs. They allow you to change the entire look of your world. Having said that, which type of wood do you think makes the best hanging signs? I am a big fan of the new bamboo wood. Share your opinions in the comments below!