- There are a few different ways to change your Minecraft username, based on what version of the game you have.
- Most Minecraft Bedrock players can change their username through the Xbox website.
- If you play Minecraft Java, you’ll need to change your name through the Minecraft website.
If you’re playing Minecraft online, your username is usually the first thing that people see when they look at you. So if you don’t like your username — maybe it’s silly, outdated, or just has a typo — you’ll want to change it right away.
It shouldn’t take long to change your Minecraft username, but the exact method you use depends on what version of the game you play. Here’s what you need to know.
How to change your Minecraft username
There are two major versions of Minecraft: Java and Bedrock. They have a whole host of differences, and one of those differences is the steps you need to follow to change your username.
If you’re not sure which version you have, think about what system you’re using.
- If you’re playing on a Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, iPhone, iPad, or Android device, you’re playing Bedrock.
- If you’re playing on a Mac or Linux computer, you’re playing Java.
- If you’re playing on a PC, it could be either. Open Minecraft and see if it says Java Edition below the title — if it does, you’re playing Java. If it doesn’t, you’re playing Bedrock.
How to change your Minecraft username in Bedrock Edition
In Bedrock Edition, your username is connected to your Microsoft account’s “Gamertag.” So to change it, you’ll need to change the Gamertag.
1. Head to the Xbox website and sign into your account by clicking Sign In in the top-right, if you haven’t already.
2. Once you’re logged in, open up your Xbox Profile and click Customize under your name.
3. Click the pencil icon next to your current username.
4. Type in the new name that you want to change to, then click Check availability. If no one else has that name, it’s now yours.
What to do if you’re playing Bedrock, but don’t have a Microsoft account
Some versions of Minecraft Bedrock — specifically, the versions for Switch, PlayStation, iPhone, iPad, and Android — don’t require you to have a Microsoft account to play. Not having a Microsoft account locks you out of multiplayer, but if you still want to change your username, you have options.
On an iPhone, iPad, or Android, the default name without a Microsoft account is “Steve.” You can change it by tapping Settings and then Profile.
On a PlayStation, your name will match your PlayStation Network name. There are three ways to change that, which you can find more details on here.
And on the Nintendo Switch, your name will be whatever your console’s profile name is. You can change your Switch name through the user profile screen.
How to change your Minecraft username in Java Edition
Java Edition is the original version of Minecraft, and works a bit differently than its newer counterpart.
1. Open the official Minecraft website and log into your Microsoft account.
2. Once you’re logged in, head to the My Games screen. Underneath Minecraft: Java Edition, click Profile Name.
3. Enter your new username, and then click Change Profile Name.
Unlike in Bedrock, changing your username is free in Java. But you can only do it once every 30 days.
The next time you log into Minecraft, you should see your new username.