Choosing the ideal Minecraft username can be a complex task for players who love the game’s multiplayer side. Here’s how to change your Minecraft username for Java and Bedrock editions on Xbox, PC, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, and other platforms.
While some players love owning the same username for decades, others like to shake things up every once in a while. It is safe to assume that the Minecraft community contains both these factions. The sandbox game allows players to make an empire alone and also team up with their friends.
If you don’t feel right about your Minecraft username, here’s how you change it easily.
How to change your Minecraft username in Bedrock edition
Minecraft Bedrock edition is available on a wide range of platforms like Xbox, Nintendo Switch, mobile, and PlayStation. Follow these steps to change your username according to your platform:
Xbox and Windows with a Microsoft account
Your Minecraft username on Xbox is basically your Microsoft account’s gamer tag. Here’s how to change it:
- Visit Xbox’s official website and sign in with your Xbox/Microsoft account.
- Upon your profile and choose Customize.
- Click on the pencil icon.
- Type your new username and confirm if it’s available.
Changing your Xbox gamer tag is free for the first time but it can cost up to $10 after that.
Your PlayStation network name is your Minecraft username on PlayStation. Here’s how to change it:
- Visit Sony’s official PSN sign-in page and sign in with your account.
- Select PSN profile.
- Find your Online ID and click on Edit.
- Enter the new username and confirm the change.
You can also do this on a PS4 console by going to Settings > Account Management > Account Information > Profile > Online ID.
For a PS5 console, go to Settings > Users and Account > Account > Profile > Online ID.
Changing your PSN username is free once but Sony charges you for it thereafter.
Android and iOS players can change their Minecraft Pocket Edition username by following these steps:
- Go to Minecraft’s in-game settings
- In General, search for Profile and change your name from the top right corner.
Your Minecraft username on the Nintendo Switch is your console’s profile name. Follow these steps to change it:
- Tap on your current profile icon from the top left corner of the Nintendo Switch home screen.
- Select Profile and your current username will be displayed on the right.
- Tap on the username to change it.
How to change your Minecraft username in Java edition
The Minecraft Java edition is only available on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Follow these steps to change your username:
- Visit Minecraft’s official website and log in with your Microsoft account.
- Head to the My Games section and choose Profile name from the drop-down menu under Minecraft: Java Edition.
- Type a new username and then choose Change Profile Name.
You can change your Minecraft username for free through this method but it only allows you to do it once every 30 days.
Following Microsoft’s acquisition of Mojang and Minecraft, the developers of the sandbox game are actively encouraging users to migrate their Mojang accounts to Microsoft accounts. This won’t change how they play the game but is a way to ensure better security through double-factor authentication.
As a result, having a Microsoft account is the most convenient way to perform tasks such as changing your Minecraft username.
For more Minecraft content, check out these guides on how to make a torch in Minecraft, how to make a bed in Minecraft, and how to teleport in Minecraft.
Image Credits: Mojang