Modding has always helped games in staying relevant for years after their release, and Minecraft is no exception. If you’re tired of playing the Vanilla version, check out this guide on how to add mods to Minecraft.
Interestingly, some of the most popular games in history such as Minecraft, GTA V, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim V, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons have one thing in common – mods. These games allow players to come up with their own ideas and implement them with modding.
It wouldn’t be an overstatement to say that Minecraft is the epitome of sandbox games. From beds and buckets to invisibility potions and beacons, the range of items that you can mine and craft is just mesmerizing. Mods further improve this sandbox nature by adding new textures, ray tracing, animals, plants, mechanics, and several other things.
If you’re willing to spice things up in your Overworld as well, learn how to add mods to Minecraft with this guide.
How to install Minecraft mods on Windows
Follow these steps to add mods to Minecraft on Windows:
- Go to the official Forge website and download the recommended version. Installing the latest version is not the best option as many mods don’t work with it. Install the Forge version you’ve downloaded.
- Download the Minecraft mods you want to add. There are many sources for this including CurseForge where you can find thousands of mods that are regularly updated.
- While downloading a mod, make sure to check its compatibility with your game’s version and modding software.
- Go to C: > Users > [Your username] > App Data > Roaming > Minecraft.
- In the Minecraft folder, create a new folder named mods. This is where you have to place all the mods you want to add to the game.
- Activate your Forge account and run Minecraft. If the mods are compatible, you should see the corresponding effects.
Quick tip – Minecraft mods can sometimes disarray your progress if they’re not compatible. To avoid such a situation, it is wise to make a copy of your original world before adding any mods to it.
You can do so by tapping on the Edit button at the bottom-left corner of the screen. Select the Make Backup option and let the game transfer the files.
How to install Minecraft mods on Mac
You can install Minecraft mods on Mac exactly like on Windows. Download Forge and the desired mods and put the latter in a mods folder.
The only difference is the location of the Minecraft directory on Mac devices. You’ll have to go to ~ > Library > Application Support > Minecraft. In the final folder, create the ‘mods’ folder and repeat everything else mentioned for Windows.
Can you add mods to Minecraft on Xbox and PlayStation consoles?
You cannot add mods to Minecraft on Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5 consoles. However, to make your game more enjoyable, we suggest downloading add-ons from the official Marketplace feature on the home screen.
Having said that, the add-ons you’ll find in the Marketplace cost real money and won’t be as liberating as mods.
Can you add mods to Minecraft on Android & iOs?
You cannot add mods to Minecraft on mobile devices including Android & iOS. However, you can find third-party apps like BlockLauncher on the Google Play Store or the App Store that help in downloading and installing add-ons.
Yet again, do not have high expectations from the mods you install on mobile devices as they’re largely restricted when compared to the PC versions.
This was everything to know about modding in Minecraft. For more content on the sandbox title, check out how to make and use fireworks, how to show hitboxes, and how to make and upgrade armor.
Image Credits: Mojang